PEAC Policies and Procedures
1. PEAC does not purchase birds, even to remove them from bad situations.
2. PEAC will accept birds donated to our organization, pending approval of an intake questionnaire and a physical intake evaluation.
3. PEAC does not breed birds or place any birds into breeding situations.
4. PEAC does not adopt birds to people under the age of 18.
5. Potential adopters are required to complete our on-line seminar, Avian Basic Care, and attend two in-person seminars: Parrot Behavior and Enrichment for Parrots.
6. After attending the required seminars, those wishing to adopt a specific bird will be required to spend hands-on time with that bird at least three times under the supervision of one of our volunteers, to ensure that there is a good match between the bird and the potential adopter.
7. All potential adopters will receive a home visit performed by a PEAC volunteer.
8. Potential adopters will receive a copy of our adoption application after the home visit has been completed.
9. Approved adoption applications will be placed on a waiting list if a bird is not currently in our system that would be a good match for the approved adopter.
10. Adopters are required to pay an adoption fee, as well as a one year membership, once approved for adoption and prior to taking ownership of the bird.
11. Only one parrot acquisition/adoption per person/family/home is allowed in an 18-month time period.
12. Adopted birds are to remain in the home and be treated as a member of the family.
13. Adopted birds may not be sold, given away, bred, or used for any type of monetary or public display purposes.
14. As a general rule, we will not place a cockatoo, macaw, or other noisy bird in an apartment or condominium.
15. PEAC will not adopt birds as companions to other birds.
16. Birds must remain in a 100% smoke-free environment.